A bit of curiosity got me thinking and trying to understand the difference between Legal Process Outsourcing and Legal Service Offshoring. I did a bit of research and then thought to share my grasp of both concepts.
Legal Process Outsourcing refers to assigning law-related tasks to an external firm (locally or globally) that is able to handle those tasks efficiently. Legal Services Offshoring refers to getting your legal work done in a different country, usually to leverage cost advantages.
I know they really seem alike, but one differentiating element turns out to be LOCATION. For example, let’s assume a tech company in Nigeria decides to contract a law firm in Nigeria to carry out all law-ish activities, now that’s outsourcing. But in the case where that same tech company contracts a law firm in India to carry out the law-related tasks, that’s called offshoring.
Okay, for better understanding, let’s look at some of the benefits and challenges for both concepts;
Here is the conclusion. As a startup, company or an established institution, where you decide to outsource or offshore your legal tasks, you should really consider the following:
- The competence and efficiency of the contracting firm
- Flexibility of communication between both parties (to what extent would technology be leveraged to enhance communication)
- Flexibility of availability for both parties (for instance, in the case of emergency sit-down talks, how soon do we get to see in-person)
- Confidentiality and Information security ( your data should be really important to you)
- Laws and regulations that would guide such contractual relationship.
- Your own peace of mind(I think this is very very important).
Please drop your comments and suggestions in the comment box!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!