We live in a world where efficiency, consistent innovation in improving the quality of work is the key to success, especially in the legal industry. So let’s talk about certain important tech tools that can help improve the legal practice.
1. RESEARCH TOOLS: One of the more time consuming aspects of the average lawyer’s role is research. In these times, a lawyer spending endless hours researching cases in a law library to cite in a legal matter cannot be termed as productive work,it would be rather termed as waste of precious work time. With the aid of certain tools, research has become more thorough, accurate and efficient. Some research tools discovered that can be very useful for lawyers and that enable a more convenient way of researching cases and principles include:
a. LawPavilion Prime
c. Nigerian Law Intellectual Property Watch (for cases pertaining to intellectual property)
2. CLIENT SERVICE TOOLS: The 21st century client expects the same quick response they are used to getting with the aid of technology and excellent client service is the backbone of a business. We know that for clients to have instant access to a lawyer, 24/7 might not be so feasible and that is where having a LIVE CHAT implemented in a law firm’s website becomes a great solution. A live chat is a communication platform that offers a prompt response to a client or visitor via instant messaging, pending when they can have direct access to a client service officer in the firm. The live chat software is programmed to respond to expected questions from clients or visitors as a human client service officer would have done. Having a live chat on the website would be convenient for clients, save time and provide a competitive advantage.
Some examples of live chat software include:
a. My live chat
3. CLOUD STORAGE TOOLS: Cloud storage allows for data to be stored on servers away from your computer. This way, they can be accessed from any location via the Internet and can be useful and secure tool for sharing and exchanging information online with colleagues and clients. This way, access on the go can be provided to important files and information. Also, the storage space on phones or tablets could get filled up quickly with documents sent and received between lawyer and clients.
These cloud storage tools could also serve as a backup for storing files in incidences of theft,Act of God, fire or even the breakdown of a computer/storage device.
Examples of such tools that are common and easy to use in saving files and documents include:
b. Google Drive
4. PRACTICE MANAGEMENT TOOLS: No matter the size or specialty of the legal practice, every lawyer needs a practice management system, one that helps manage and automate cases, communications within the firm, calendar, court forms, templates and case files.
Examples of such tools would include :
a. LawPavilion Case Manager
b. Next Counsel Practice Management solution.
5. COLLABORATION AND COMMUNICATION TOOLS: Collaboration tools leverages technology to enable people communicate, share, coordinate, cooperate, and solve problems within a particular organization. Tools such as Slack , Trello , Telegram , Asana or Google Docs are very useful in achieving collaboration for the purpose of completing a task assigned to them. It also allows for the exchange of information on the go without necessarily using the email. The main aim of these tools is to enhance the productivity of lawyers in a group or team within a firm.
6. CORRESPONDENCE TOOLS: Tools for correspondences like e-mail has become one of today’s standard means of initiating and and enabling correspondences electronically with clients, colleagues and associates. Also, for a law firm, the use of a dedicated email service address for the purpose of communication within the law firm is quite vital, such that personal emails of associates are not used for work-related matters.
Finally, leveraging technology as a tool in the legal business makes the job easier, and lawyers should be open to exploring these tools that aid efficiency and productivity in the course of the practice. Let’s keep in mind that “Value shifts to the business that moves the fastest and knows the customer the best”.
Please drop your comments and suggestions in the comments box.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!